Can I use this as a ASP.NET control?

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum
May 11, 2010 at 9:25 AM
Edited May 11, 2010 at 9:42 AM

We have a web application where in we need users to write some Python code, which is stored in our database as Varchar. I am looking for an editor which would make it easy for the users to write Python code. It should show line numbers and some syntax highlighting. From ScintillaNet's documentation, it seems that it can be used as a control on Win forms. Can I also use it in a .NET MVC application?

UPDATE:

I downloaded the code and added the control to my toolbox. But I don't see the control in the toolbox for the webpage. So, it looks like it is not supported for .NET MVC application

Coordinator
May 12, 2010 at 5:14 AM

Your assumption is correct. ScintillaNET is a Windows Forms component only.

Jacob

Coordinator
Jun 1, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Wwwwaaayyyy back when .NET was first released back in the 2001 days I remember MS had examples of using Windows Forms controls in an IE web page by making them COM visible and using an <object /> tag. However I seriously doubt you could even get that to work at all anymore and there's no way you can find anyone who will give you support in that area. It wasn't the best idea in the world and fortunately it never really caught on.