This project is read-only.

Manual, SDK, or Guide?

Topics: Developer Forum
Jan 11, 2007 at 10:25 PM
Hi,

I was looking for a source code editor control that I can use to do custom syntax highlighting in a basic editor program for a project I'm doing. And I'm thinking this is what I'm looking for even if it's not quite complete yet.

I got the control to appear on my document form and open and save files (by looking at the example code in SCide). But I can't find where I would set my language or how to write a language file. Or how to configure different options on the control.

Is there a manual, sdk, or guide somewhere that I can read to learn what the control can do and how to do it? I haven't used the original Scintilla before, so I'm a complete noobie for the control.

Thanks!
Matt
Jan 12, 2007 at 8:03 PM
Searching around things and playing with it, I think I've figured out how it works. Maybe. So can anyone tell me if my conclusions are correct?

The Scintilla control uses a lexer to determine what color a word should be. There are several lexers already built in for the common languages (C, C++, C#, Java, etc), but if you want to do a custom language you have to write your own lexer dll (with some instructions at http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/Lexer.txt). Then once you have the lexer, you use the ScintillaNET.language.xml file as a template to define your color schemes for everything your lexer specifies.

?
Jan 12, 2007 at 10:49 PM
Notepad++ uses Scintilla for it's editor control. And it has a user defined language lexer that apparently (at least to me looking at the source code) is part of SciLexer.dll. It's using the SCLEX_USER define from SciLexer.h. Is this an actual lexer in Scintilla? I've tried Googling it, but to no avail...
Jan 13, 2007 at 11:21 PM
Try to search via Googling by the following key words:
SciTEExtras
SciTE_Ru-Board.html
CUTE User-friendly Text Editor

and also the next potentially interesting priject:

scintillawnd

All the best,
Vmans
Jan 21, 2007 at 5:08 AM
A full blown help file and guide is something we're going to do at some point but at the moment we really aren't through mapping out all the ScintillaNET APIs. Basically right now it is a pretty transparent wrapper around Scintilla. The ultimate goal of the project is to have a complete .NETified syntax that abstracts the Scintilla calls for just about everything.
Jan 21, 2007 at 5:12 AM
Also to note I'm not sure what the plausibility of writing a .NET lexer is at this point. I think I'll try it out sometime but I'm betting that there won't be a we can abstract the implementation any easier.