Autocomplete and CallTips

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
May 8, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I was looking for a way to have an AutoComplete list visible and when the selected index changed show a CallTip to the side of the AutoComplete list where one could disambiguate overloads.  A quick Google search and some basic test code proves that this is not possible in Scintilla.

I have read about the 4.0 branch in this discussion area and I understand it to be only enhancements to autocomplete.  It seems that this branch is not kept up to date so I am hesitant to explore it to see if these enhancements are actually using .NET controls instead of the Scintilla ones if this is a dead-end branch.

Does anyone have an idea as to what is going on or does anyone have ideas for alternative implementations?

Developer
May 8, 2012 at 7:55 PM

The 4.0 branch is pretty much exclusively improvements in the auto-complete, allowing it to auto-show the auto-complete list if a specified character is typed. It also will automatically narrow down the possibilities as you type. You can also assign icons to the keywords that you've defined. You are however correct in that the branch isn't kept up to date, as it's been quite a while since I've been able to work on ScintillaNET. The branch is still using the scintilla controls. It would be possible to add an event that is triggered when the selection changes, which is what that link is saying would be required.

May 10, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I thought that was the case, but one could hope that was one of the things you were shooting for.  It is not a huge thing for me, but if I have some time I'd certainly take a crack at it...