Question about the future of ScintillaNet

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I'd like to know if ScintillaNet will be full compatible with WPF and all it's features in a relative near future due I'm now migrating my project due some components and modifications that I need to do, and I actually don't want to stop using this epic third party library. (Yes I know that I can use the library with WindowsFormsHost, but the bindings and many other WPF features can't be used in a normal way with some winforms controls like thisone).

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Well it's been more than 2 months and I'm still waiting for an answer. Can any member of the team answer please?
Developer
Feb 9, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Edited Feb 9, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Well, I'm not sure about the other devs, but I felt it wouldn't be very hard to support wpf, so I went ahead and created a wrapper for the ScintillaNET control, making all the properties in it accessible via WPF. It's just been committed to a new branch called WPF. I don't normally work with WPF, so any feedback (or suggestions of other things to make working with it in wpf easier) is appreciated.
Feb 10, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Thank you very much for the response, and the branch, I'll take a look at it and I'll edit this message when I've time, as now I'm quite busy.
Developer
Feb 12, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Edited Feb 16, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Well, after some work, I now have a WPF version of SCide mostly up and running, still need to create wrappers for the helper controls that ScintillaNET has in a couple of places, and also implement INativeScintilla as a passthrough interface, that way I don't have to mess with modifying the INI lexer. I should have the functional WPF version of SCide committed either by the end of today or tomorrow.

Edit:
Everything is now function in the WPF version of SCide except for hotkeys and the about form. I'll do those last two things tomorrow, and then commit it.

Edit 2:
Well, I have now found a valid design location to have a set-only property. (which, last I checked isn't allowed in C#, but that might only be auto-properties) This is after realizing that content serialization doesn't exist in WPF, so I have a bit of work to do to make certain properties configurable via xaml. Good news is that everything else is fully functional in the WPF version of SCide.

Edit 3:
Just committed a functional WPF version of SCide, and the modifications to the WPF wrapper to allow configuration of most things, I still have to add support for configuring the Scrolling, Selection, Snippets, Styles, UndoRedo, and Whitespace properties. After I do those I'll see what I can do about figuring out how to configure the Printing property, which should be a fun one.

Edit 4:
Discovered more things that don't work, namely, while implementing only the add method for config elements is fine at runtime, at design time it isn't enough, so that's being fixed now.