Best place to start

Topics: User Forum
Mar 5, 2015 at 8:17 PM
I'm having problems finding the best place to start with ScintillaNET. I have it in my .NET project viewable in a form, but as far as custom language lexers and rules and xml files, I don't know where to start. I read about the WPF branch, is there more detailed doc anywhere when it comes to this?

Sorry for the noobishness.
Developer
Mar 7, 2015 at 2:07 AM
I haven't written any overall documentation on the custom lexer functionality in the WPF branch, but the code itself should be pretty well documented. In terms of writing your own custom lexer, the process is pretty much the same as when writing one for Scintilla itself. The main difference is that you are writing it in C# rather than C++.

For the most part though, you typically don't actually need a custom lexer, instead, you can usually get away with using one of the lexers built-into Scintilla.
Mar 9, 2015 at 7:53 PM
Thanks. I was able to get up and running over the weekend. None of the lexers will quite fit. I am coming from a place that uses an old mainframe language called REXX. There are plugins for eclipse, but none suited my needs. I will probably be posting a lot of calls for help with code snippets when I get confused. Thanks for the reply!