This project is read-only.

newbie: Not getting very far...

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Mar 11, 2007 at 11:47 PM
Edited Mar 12, 2007 at 12:04 AM
Hi,

I've just learned about and started working with scintilla today. I've added the control to my form and I'm supplying the contents of a cpp file to the Text property of the control. I've added the config file and cpp.properties file to my project and ensured they are being copied to the application's directly.

The problem is there is no formatting, it looks like a regular textbox control. I've looked over the scite sample application and so far haven't found anything that sheds light on what I'm not doing or what steps I'm missing.

I will keep digging around, but if anyone could point me to some additional documentation or maybe type up a few pointers I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Steve
Mar 11, 2007 at 11:56 PM
This project is pretty immature still, so there is no documentation yet. You'll have to study the SCide code to see how it's working. (You have to manually set the configuration object and configuration language.
Mar 12, 2007 at 12:05 AM
Hi, thanks for the quick reply!

I've since added the following code:
//  Load the scintilla configuration?
// Testing new Configuration Files
FileInfo exeFile = new FileInfo(Application.ExecutablePath);
FileInfo globalConfigFile = new FileInfo(exeFile.Directory.FullName + @"\global.properties");
if (globalConfigFile.Exists)
{
    SciTEProperties properties = new SciTEProperties();
    properties.Load(globalConfigFile);
    scintillaControl_Source.Configuration = 
        new ScintillaConfig(properties);

scintillaControl_Source.ConfigurationLanguage = "cs";
}

Unfortunately this hasn't made a difference. I'm still looking over the SCide project, but as I'm sure you know... it's pretty confusing :)

If you think of anything else that I could be missing I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Steve
Mar 12, 2007 at 1:54 AM
Ok, for starters, try putting all of the properties files in the configuration folder. If you only have the cpp file it definitely won't work. the global.properties files loads a different properties file that then loads all of the language files. Once you get it working with all of the config files, you can go from there and ween it down to fewer. The configuration system we're using is the same as SciTE's, which is nice because we can use what they have to get things moving quickly. A more intuitive configuration system will be developed at some point soon.
Mar 12, 2007 at 2:41 AM
OK, that did it. I'm not sure why the directory mattered as it was finding the global properties OK, but it works now.

Now I need to figure out how to change the properties, the config file seems to have no effect.

Anyway, thanks for helping me get up and running.
Have a good one,
Steve
Mar 12, 2007 at 4:58 AM
Sure, no problem. I wish I had the time to quickly finish this project and get it documented, but that's not going to happen for a while. Hopefully some more developers will put some time into it and help get it finished. Also, if you hadn't found it already, the properties files format is described here: http://scintilla.sourceforge.net/SciTEDoc.html
Mar 13, 2007 at 4:16 AM
Thanks for the link, that should shed some light on a couple things :)

I'm not sure if MyGeneration is open source or not, but if it is I was thinking I would DL it and check out your useage of scintillaNET - you have done many of the things I want to do (disable editing, but selecting and scrolling is still enabled, etc)

Keep up the good fight, I'm sure once it's a little more easy to use people will adopt it quickly... if they haven't already?

Take care and thanks for the help,
Steve