This project is read-only.

ScintillaNET Installation

Topics: User Forum
Jun 5, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I'm having trouble installing ScintillaNET. Here is what I have done so far:

1. I extracted the contents of ScintillaNet Binaries 2.2.zip to C:\PROG\ScintillaNET.

2. Next, I right-clicked on the Computer icon on my desktop, and hit Properties. Since there was no Advanced tab, I hit Advanced System Settings.

3. I then hit Environment Variables. Since there was no Path in the User variables list (only in the System variables), I hit the New button.

4. I typed in Path for the Variable name, and C:\PROG\ScintillaNET for the Variable value. I then click OK twice, and closed the Properties window.

5. I opened up Visual C# 2008 Express Edition, created a new form called ScintillaTest, right-clicked in the Toolbox, and hit Choose Items.

6. Next, I made sure that .NET Framework Components was the active tab (which it was), hit the Browse button, and located C:\PROG\ScintillaNET\ScintillaNet.dll.

Whenever I try to use Scintilla, SnippetChooser, or IncrementalSearcher (the only thing that works is flagCheckedListBox), it says: Failed to create component 'Scintilla'.  The error message follows: 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The Scintilla library could not be found. Please place the library in a searchable path such as the application or 'C:\Windows\system32' directory. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The specified module could not be found at ScintillaNet.Scintilla.get_CreateParams() in D:\ScintillaNET\Branches\2.0\ScintillaNET\Scintilla.cs:line 430 at System.Windows.Forms.Control..ctor(Boolean autoInstallSyncContext) at Scintilla.Scintilla..ctor() in D:\ScintillaNET\Branches\2.0\ScintillaNET\Scintilla.cs:line 59'

What's even more worrying is that I barely use my D:\ partition, except for a couple of files. ScintillaNET was recently recommended to me as I am developing an Advanced Script Editor for the 3D Rad game maker, but I don't have time to worry over other people's mistakes. If it's not working because of a mistake on my part, then I apologise, but otherwise...

Anyway, I've spent ten minutes writing this, so you have to help me :D !

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Ah, nevermind. I worked around this by adding the ScintillaNET files to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE. Sorry if I was a bit rude earlier, I was just frustrated. In my defence, though, that should be added to the documentation.

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Ah, nevermind (again). It didn't work. So instead I downloaded 2.0.1, followed the same procedure, seemed to work, but now asks me for c:\ScintillaNET\scintillanet\branches\2.0\scintillanet\scintilla.cs whenever I try to compile my test project. Do I need to download the source code or something??? I'm starting to think I'll just have to keep on using the basic Windows Forms controls. Unless anyone knows of an alternative that actually works? I'll try google, but I'm not too hopeful. Ah well, c'est la vie, and there aint nothing I can do about it.

Jun 7, 2010 at 12:51 AM
Edited Jun 7, 2010 at 12:55 AM

You do not need the source code to work with ScintllaNET. Downloading the 2.2 binaries is the recommended way to get started. Everything you did in your first post *should* have worked. You might need to try restarting your system as well to ensure that the Path variable has truly been updated to C:\PROG\ScintillaNET before running Visual C# 2008 Express. If that doesn't work you can place the SciLexer.dll in your C:\Windows\system32 folder as recommended in the exception you got.

The portion of the exception that references your "D" partition can safely be ignored. It stems from the fact that the PDB file you downloaded as part of your binaries package was compiled using that path--in other words, it's referring to the path it was compiled on, not a path on your system.

Feel free to post back if you're still having trouble. We're happy to help.

Thanks,
Jacob

P.S. - Please let us know if you feel we can improve the "ScintillaNET Installation" documentation provided at: http://scintillanet.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Installation&referringTitle=Documentation

Jun 21, 2010 at 7:05 PM
Edited Jun 21, 2010 at 7:07 PM
Just thought I'd follow through with this. I removed all traces of ScintillaNET from my machine, including the Path variable, and redownloaded the binaries. After repeating the installation steps in the documentation, it seemed to work. I added it to my form with no problems. However, once I tried to compile it, it displays this: Other third-party WinForms controls work fine (Wangdera.Controls, Editor.NET, etc.). Is there anything I can do? Also, on a different, yet related subject, if I do get it to work, does it have the same functionality as the original RichTextBox? For example, can I simply switch the RichTextBox for the ScintillaNET control and keep the same code (ie. for loading / saving, etc.)?
Jun 21, 2010 at 7:17 PM

If you're running 64bit windows you have to put SciLexer.dll in Windows/SYSWOW64. See http://scintillanet.codeplex.com/Thread/List.aspx?SearchText=64&ProjectName=ScintillaNET for more details.

ScintillaNET is pretty much not API compatible with RichTextBox at all.