Scintilla not finding XML file once published with VS 2010

Apr 11, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Works perfectly in deubgging mode, but in published state it throws:

"Could not find the custom configuration file"

Details:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find the custom configuration file.
File name: 'lua.xml'
   at ScintillaNet.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.Configure()
   at ScintillaNet.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.set_Language(String value)

Coordinator
Apr 11, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Does the XML file exist in the same path relative to your program's executable when published the same as when debugging? 

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Yeah but it's lua.xml.deploy in publishing and it's in \Application Files\Version1.0.0.2

But I paste it in all locations (Same as clickonce, in application files, and in all previous version), and did that again but renamed the second duplicates lua.xml rather than lua.xml.deploy and it still thros the error.

Developer
Apr 15, 2011 at 2:06 PM

This isn't a problem in ScintillaNet, this is a problem with your understanding of deployment. If the file is still called lua.xml.deploy, it HASN'T been deployed yet. I would suggest against using a click-once deploy, mostly due to the fact that when you install it, it installs to an incredibly obscure location in the user's AppData folder, which makes it very hard to work with. Not to mention the fact it checks the requirements every time you start it up, which will be annoying to end users. As you don't seem to be using Visual Studio Pro (or above, as, if you had, I would suggest something totally different) , I would suggest using something like NSIS for your deployment, as it allows much easier deployment and maintainence of your application.

Apr 15, 2011 at 7:13 PM
Edited Apr 16, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Nevermind my post before I edited it.

Thanks, I'm deploying by getting the built debug and then filtering out anything I don't need and then zipping that with a desktop shortcut.

Developer
Apr 20, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Might I ask how widely used you plan to make the application be? Because if it's not going to be hugely widely used, then that is definately the best way to go about deployment, however, it has always bugged me when I downloaded Reflector (before it went commercial, now that it's commercial it does actually have an installer), i only downloaded a .zip file with the program in it, which meant that I had to manually create a folder in my Program Files folder if I wanted to install it long-term. (As I used to do with reflector, which btw, does work if you merge your addons into a single dll, haven't tried merging it into the main exe yet though, and probably never will)

If you do decide to stay with a simple .zip distribution, I would suggest (if it has multiple supporting files, aka. more than 3 after the main exe), creating a folder with the application's name, moving the proper files into it, and then zipping the folder rather than the indivual files, so that those who just want to see what it's about, (aka. haven't already created a folder to install it into :P), don't have to create a folder to unzip into on their desktop (as it's usually the easiest to get to).

It's always annoyed me when programs that have a lot of supporting files, just zip the indivual files, and leave me to create a folder for them to be unzipped into :P You don't have to do this, but i'm just saying it because it bugs me :P