Guidelines for Find and Replace

Jun 6, 2008 at 4:34 PM
We've just upgraded to using version 2-0, and I have a query about using Find and Replace - in the situation where there are multiple files being edited at the same time (on different tabs for example).

In the previous version the Find/Replace forms were separate, so we created a static and shared across all editors. Each time an editor was shown be called Initialize() passing in the Scintilla control.

In the current version the example code has a FindReplace object per Scintilla object.

Therefore switching between tabs becomes much more complicated, as the user is probably expecting a find/replace dialog to be common to the application not document. Therefore switching tabs should leave the editor in the same place - and hitting "find" should then operate on the current document.

Any guidelines on how to do this? Was it considered how to cope with this scenario when version 2-0 was designed?

I can obviously work around it - it just feels a bit clunky to have to show/hide the FindReplace on each Scintilla control each time a Scintilla control is shown/hidden, and update position/search text etc.

Thanks in advance

John
Coordinator
Jun 10, 2008 at 11:20 PM
I completely agree with you. This is a bad design.

I've opened work item 16989 and assigned it to myself to get this fixed. Please post all further discussion on this issue there.

Thanks,
Jacob