ScintillaNET Project Direction

Topics: Developer Forum
Coordinator
Jan 21, 2007 at 4:58 AM
Hi all, as we all know this project as really stalled since about October of 06. Garett has gone a bit AWOL (Microsoft is a pretty demanding employer I hear) and subsequently I haven't been contributing either. jgreenwood has the only contributor actually contributing as of late and I would like that to change.

I actually have A LOT of code that I've been sitting on for a while that begins to give ScintillaNET it's own API that abstracts Scintilla in a much more black boxed manner. However it is based off of a code line that I started before being a contributor to this project. It is very much incompatible with the code currently in the Codeplex repository.

I was going to wait until ScintillaNET was more mature and to have Garett put out a roadmap but it looks like the other contributors are going to have to take a more active role in controlling the future direction of this project.

In the correspondance I've had with Garett we seem to have the same vision of what ScintillaNET should be so I'm fairly confident that he won't be completely alienated when he comes back to us.

Coordinator
Feb 1, 2007 at 6:07 AM
I've confirmed with Garrett that he is on hiatus from ScintillaNET until further notice. He's bumped me up to Coordinator so that I can continue to keep driving this project in some sort of direction (hopefully forward :). That means that anyone interested in contributing I can now add. We've got lots of work still ahead of us.
Feb 1, 2007 at 10:09 AM
Congrats and good to hear that things can start "officially" moving again. Is there a list of things that need done or a roadmap you have in mind?
Coordinator
Feb 1, 2007 at 2:24 PM
WorkItems 7880 and 7881 are the most pressing for now. The unfortunate part about these particular items is that they aren't so much creative as they are meticulous (More so for 7880-help than for 7881-examples).

Garrett has said he'll give me his latest and greatest configuration system code to me within the next couple of days if he can. If he does we need to put the finishing touches on it. If he doesn't it means we need to come up with our own configuration system and management GUIs.

So does this mean you're interested in joining the team?
Coordinator
Feb 1, 2007 at 3:44 PM
Ignore this post. I'm testing...
Feb 2, 2007 at 12:15 PM
Yes, I'll join. :) I can't promise to have tons of time on it, but I am interested in helping. Meticulous things are something I can handle. The examples is probably what I would like to start on.
Coordinator
Feb 2, 2007 at 4:02 PM
Done!
Feb 7, 2007 at 11:23 AM
Chris, what's the status on Garrett's config code? And your status with your branch?

Asking because I was wondering where we (or maybe I) should start adding stuff to? Your branch would seem to be the logical place, since it is following the pattern of what the control will be in the future. But if you are in process of major changes, it's maybe not a stable place to do it? Plus you may not want me getting in your way?
Coordinator
Feb 7, 2007 at 7:42 PM
It doesn't look as though Garrett's code is coming. I think we're going to have to come up with something ourselves.

It's going to be a while before I start working on the chris branch because I want to make the current implementation 100% solid and fully documented so that we can at least have a release version under our belts, otherwise I feel as though we could be in perpetual beta.

My branch can be considered a dumping ground of ideas and features. Go ahead and add stuff to it if you'd like (but thanks for the consideration). I leave it to your discression as to where to put it with the following guidelines: If you think this is a "must have!" for the current release put it in the main trunk. If you think its a cool feature put it in the branch. We can organize stuff later. For instance the work items I opened for automatic H-Scrolling, Drag-Drop, and Printing should go into the branch. However I think a "must have!" feature the ability to get text from an arbitrary range because it's such a common task and the current client code to do it goes something like this:
TextRange rng = new TextRange();
rng.lpstrText = System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.AllocHGlobal(20);
rng.chrg.cpMin = 10;
rng.chrg.cpMax = 30;
int len = scintillaControl.GetTextRange(ref rng);
string rangeText = Scintilla.Utilities.PtrToStringUtf8(rng.lpstrText, len);
System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.Marshal.FreeHGlobal(rng.lpstrText);
This is NOT the kind of code we should be making users create just to be able to get some text.
Feb 10, 2007 at 1:25 PM
I'm interested in getting involved. I had the notion of building a WPF component based on Scintilla, and decided to check whether anyone was already doing it. I see that there is a Scintilla.NET component maintained by you guys, and was wondering if anywhere in the roadmap a WPF implementation was contemplated. I was thinking of using C+/CLI, for the obvious reasons, for the lower-level integration of Scintilla code (given the new C+/Interop possibilities). The goal is a WPF component that can be used in C# or VB.NET according to the new WPF paradigm.

Sincerely,

Bob
Coordinator
Feb 10, 2007 at 7:24 PM
A WPF component is not currently in the roadmap. However from what I understand of WPF the Windows Forms version should work seamlessly. Since Scintilla is really the underlying engine that provides the functionality and it's written using Win32 (er, cross platform libraries that wrap Win32 code when used on Windows) I'm curious to see what a WPF implementation would be like.

If anything I'm pretty sure that 99% of the code that is in ScintillaNET non-Windows Forms specific and we just need a way to host the Native Scintilla component in a WPF way.

Perhaps do you know of any other WPF component that wraps a native Win32 "Window class" based control that we can look as an example?
Feb 25, 2007 at 6:05 AM
Hey - what do y'all think about using the open source DockPanel Suite for a nice dockable MDI interface? I've used it on other projects, and I think it would work out well here.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dockpanelsuite/
Coordinator
Feb 26, 2007 at 3:37 AM
Sure, I've used it before too and I think it's probably the best of the free open source Tabbed MDI managers
Mar 9, 2007 at 3:48 PM
Just FYI, I'm still working on configuration and the MDI interface. I'm not going to check in until it executes smoothly, but you can expect a major checkin sometime in the next couple weeks. I know I'm sortof taking this project over as far as the design, but I figure it's better than nothing happening for another year. It seems like any open source project without a strong leader is a dead project. By the end of the month, we should have a half way decent MDI text editor with most of the scintilla features implemented. I'd love to get the export features of scite in this application too. (any volunteers?) I would be happy to be a project coordinator if y'all would grant me the privledges.