Porting ScintillaNET to .NET 1.1

Topics: Developer Forum
Jan 28, 2007 at 9:47 AM
I've been looking for a while to drop the ICSharpCode editor I currently use in a tool I develop (primarily due to it's GPL requirement). After some experimentation with ScintillaNET with it's gloriously flexible license I'm contemplating incorporating this in my tool instead.

The one gotcha is that ScintallaNET is .NET 2.0 specific, and my tool intentially is not. I know each day the number of people not having 2.0 on their machines diminishes, but the company I work at is only just making the transition and deploying it now so there must be many others still in that boat.

So that has me wondering about doing a port of ScintillaNET to 1.1. Do you guys have any thoughts on this? I know you have your hands full just getting the 2.0 based version sorted so not expecting any resource to help. Just more after your opinions on viability, whether you think it is worth the effort, any moral objections etc, etc.

I could make all the source etc available back here on CodePlex if there was interest - perhaps a ScintillaNET10 project or something. Alternatively if there is no interest in the idea then I will just keep it all as a private project.

Thoughts welcomed,
Grant.
Coordinator
Jan 29, 2007 at 12:47 AM
Previous incarnations of ScintillaNET were target towards .NET 1x. Try http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=92619. If it doesn't meet your needs I don't see how conversion would be too difficult. The biggest thing I would say is converting the events to use costom defined delegates (which I believe are in the files but commented out) instead of the event generics.
Jan 29, 2007 at 8:26 AM
Thanks for that Chris. At the time I posted I didn't realise this was an "evolution" of an existing 1.1 development but then discovered that and now have that version up and running. I dont see much point in making the effort now to convert this version - sure it's nice to have the generator etc but as it sounds like you guys are still tweaking the API it would be a bit of a moving target. I'm going to make future versions of my tool .NET 2.0 only anyways which will let me use this version.

Tahnks again,
Grant.