This project is read-only.

Mingw

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Mar 7, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Hi,

is it possible to compile Scintillanet with mingw and mono on windows?
Has anybody tried?
Mar 8, 2013 at 1:11 AM
I'm confused... why would you want to use that configuration on Window? ScintillaNET already builds natively with MS C++ and .NET.

Jacob
Mar 8, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Because I am an FOSS fan. So, this configuration is unsupported I think. I may try myself to see what can be done.
Mar 14, 2013 at 1:34 AM
It most likely will NOT work with Mono, as the ScintillaNET library uses a lot of Windows specific functionality that is not included in Mono. You should, however, be able to build Scintilla with MinGW.
Mar 14, 2013 at 3:21 AM
Just tried, ScintillaNET does work with Mono, but only when being run on Windows. I haven't tried compiling Scintilla with MinGW though, and, as that would (I think) expose the unix interface of Scintilla (probably would cause it to use GTK as the target UI system), it would likely not work with ScintillaNET.
Mar 14, 2013 at 11:30 AM
That is certainly interesting, I suppose my only experience with Mono has been on Linux. I just checked the Scintilla source code, out of interest, and you can indeed build on Windows with MinGW. There are two separate codebases included in the source code distribution ZIP, and there are even instructions for building with MinGW specifically in the README. Check it out if you're still interested.
Mar 14, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Edited Mar 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Here is the relevant text from the README file, for reference. The files are all set up to be built with MinGW, and you can choose either Win32 or GTK+, should you so choose. Very interesting option. Specific commands for MinGW are included in the README, but I've ommitted them for clarity for now. Text below:

*** Windows version ***

A C++ compiler is required. Visual Studio .NET 2010 is the development system
used for most development although TDM Mingw32 4.4.1 is also supported.

*** GTK+/Windows version ***

Mingw32 is known to work. Other compilers will probably not work.

Only Scintilla will build with GTK+ on Windows. SciTE will not work.