This project is read-only.

Mono support

Topics: Developer Forum
Oct 20, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Has anybody tested ScintillaNET on Mono (Windows or Linux)?

And: PLEASE do not use a mixed library as suggested here. This would be a Mono show stopper!

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Not that I'm aware of. I know that we're making a lot of Windows based assumptions. If you'd like you can give it a try and let us know how well it works or if it works at all. I personally don't run a Mono environment in Windows or Linux and I doubt I have the time in the near future to get into it unassisted. But if you or someone you know has the platform expertise and is willing to invest the time and effort I'm willing to work with you. I can even get it working on a Linux Mono if I'm walked through the entire process of setting it up from scratch.

About the mixed library approach I want to do whatever it takes to make the primary use of Scintilla easier. If it does work it would be a new major version, the existing codebase can still be used for other scenarios outside of Windows/MS-CLR.

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:37 PM

For 2+ years there have been a discussion of porting FlashDevelop (very popular Flash, AS3, HaXe, XML, etc...) editor from Windows to working on Linux and Mac OS X as well.  Mono looks like the path of least resistance, but as FD is build on ScintillaNET, it is not ready to run in a Mono VM

Our latest discussion:  http://www.flashdevelop.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6449&p=30044

With the fact Mono support would receive immediate use from a large (Flash) development community, any chance one of the contributors would want to tackle Mono support in ScintillaNET?

--
Tronster
tronster.com
410-299-6348

Apr 25, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Tronster,

At ScintillaNET, our hearts are big but our time is short. So the first challenge to porting ScintillaNET to run on any other platform is manpower. The second challenge is that there are some very really technical barriers. It sounds like FlashDevelop is a Windows Forms application and while I know that Mono has recently improved their Windows Forms support on Linux/Mac OS X it sounds like you're also aware that ScintlilaNET isn't pure Windows Forms code. It relies entirely on a Windows native binary.

I admittedly don't have much Linux/Mac OS X experience so if I make any incorrect assumptions, please correct me...

The Scintilla project does include support for GTK+... which would suggest that it's Linux/Mac OS X compatible, but I'm afraid that won't be helpful in your case. I would imagine it is impossible for you to run a Windows Forms compatible application on Mono, and use a GTK+ version of Scintilla.

So I think your options are:

1. By some miracle, use ScintillaNET as is with a compatibility layer in Mono for pinvoke calls (like Mono's emulated GDI+ layer).
  2. Convert FlashDevelop to GTK+ so you could use the GTK+ version of Scintilla
  3. Use a text editor control other than ScintillaNET. You might look at MonoDevelop's text editor which originally started as SharpDevelop's, but when through the laborious process of removing all the pinvoke code.

None of these options probably sounds particularly appealing. If you have any other approaches that I haven't listed I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Jacob

Apr 26, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Jacob,

Thank you for your quick reply here and even making time to post on the FlashDevelop forums.

It has given me some more to mull over.  I understand how time is the biggest factor on a volunteer run project.  If I can convince someone from our side (or make time myself) to add Mono support to ScintillaNET, I'll be sure to let your team know.

Cheers.

--
Tronster
tronster.com
410-299-6348