Is it possible to use Notepad++ UserLang in ScintillaNet?

Topics: User Forum
Oct 29, 2009 at 12:25 PM

I'm making an editor for my own scripting language, and I was wondering - is it possible to use User Language definitions generated by Notepad++? If not, how can I create my own highlighting directives?

Developer
Oct 29, 2009 at 1:41 PM

I'm not sure but I think you can't use a Config generated by Notepad++ cause as far as I know Notepad++ generates it's own Configuration format.

If you want to create a custom Configuration File have a look here in the Discussions or the Documentation Section, there are many exapmles.

Coordinator
Oct 29, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Not possible right now, or should I say it's not coded to do so. It's an intriguing idea though. Notepad++'s userDefineLang.xml looks pretty straight forward, the hard part is acting on it. That is to say replicating the lexing behavior. Either they have a custom lexer they load into Scintilla or they are handling the syntax highlighting via StyleNeeded. I can't tell without looking at the code. Speaking of looking at the code we can't just use theirs as Notepad++ is GPL licensed and Scintilla/ScintillaNet isn't.

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:03 PM

I think it's their own lexer, because I don't believe they'd bother doing it with styling. And, I think SciTE can help you - as far as I remember it has a User Language option too, and it's probably released on the same license as Scintilla itself.