Garretts New Configration Code

Topics: Developer Forum
Mar 14, 2007 at 5:17 PM
Chris (or Garrett) -
Can you forward Garretts new configuration code? I'm very familiar with scintillas configuration system and I could help integrate it into the codebase quickly. At that point we can depricate the Legacy configuration, and support the new ScintillaNet XML config format and the classic SciTE properties format. The new model will support external custom configuration systems as well. If you want to integrate it yourself, let me know if you have any questions or want any help. thanks
Mar 20, 2007 at 6:41 PM
I'm now using a combination of Garretts configuration system and my own. I think XML is bloated/slow and prefer simpler formats, so a name value pair properties format like scite is probably what I'm going to use. However, I don't like the scite file structure (I agree with garrett about its shortcomings). My idea is to have a global config file that has base settings for the application as a whole, a lexer config file with the base styles for each lexer, and then a language config file that lets you override any of the defaults from the lexer and the global config and also provide keywords and other language specific settings. There will probably be a default configuration embedded as a resource in the assembly for those that don't care about building custom configurations. Garrett provided a configuration form that i will use (with modifications) so that it can be used optionally for those that want to embed scintillaNet configuration in thier application. I will most likely check in my code later in the week. It will be a huge relief to finally get the configuration stuff finalized. After that, I will probably start on the plugin interface assembly for scide. Which brings me to another topic - I really don't like the name "SCide"... It sounds nasty and doesn't describe its purpose like most popular editors do (Ultra-Edit, TextPad, NotePad++, DevStudio, #develop, NEdit, JEdit, Programmers Notepad). If anyone has any ideas, feel free to post them.
Coordinator
Mar 26, 2007 at 4:46 PM
(just lurking today)

Yeah, I'm not sure ScIDE is any better too; it made more sense a few years back, and it was a play on SciTE(which was simply a contraction of Scinitilla Text Editor). , except I was thinking of a better 'IDE'...Gotta remember, I started some of this stuff years ago.... way before I joined MS. :D

What are the options?
- something with Scintilla in it's name?

- something arbitrary? ( 'cogito' -- latin for 'think' ... and there's no project in Freshmeat.net with that name, which means it's probably not used?)

- something descriptive: ('eotg'--"EditorOfTheGods" , 'TOTE' -- The One True Editor, )

- something unrelated, perhaps bizarre: "Sinaga" -- (Sinaga is not a good acronym?) -- oooh: or Scinaga (keeps the 'Sc' of scintilla in it)

I have no opinion anymore :D .. although I did like the last ones.

G

Mar 26, 2007 at 9:06 PM
good input. We'll figure something out. Maybe once we get a solid release out people will start giving us more input. I am still working on this stuff (config/plugin support). We had really good weather last weekend and I neglected my geek projects, but I am wrapping up the new config file format tonight, and starting on the config forms. I may checkin tonight depending on how tired I am after tucking the kids in. (for some reason, reading my kids to sleep really takes it out of me!)
Apr 3, 2007 at 6:38 AM
Well, I checked in the beginnings of the new configuration system. I used Garretts color wheel and font browser class, and a similar configuration form. The new config files are embedded resources but files can still be used for those that wish to customize. Of course, there is still a ton to do. I've been really busy lately with family and work, so things have been a little slower as of late, but we'll get there. I apologize for all of the checkins - I was having serious issues with the source control system.